Leftover Pork/Gammon Casserole
with Root Vegetables and Chestnuts
300-400g leftover roast pork/gammon
2 tbsp vegetable Oil
1 large carrot
200g pack cooked and peeled chestnuts
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 sticks of celery
1 tbsp plain flour
300ml fresh chicken stock
200g button mushrooms quartered
- Preheat oven to 180 °C/Gas Mark 5. Cut all the vegetables into approx. 20mm dice
- Heat a large casserole pan, add the vegetable oil and all the vegetables. Cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes
- Add the flour and mix in well, add tomato puree and the chicken stock and mix well.
- Dice the cooked meat and add to the pan with the button mushrooms and chestnuts, top up with water so that all the meat and vegetables are covered and season with salt and pepper
- Cover the casserole dish and place in a preheated oven to cook for 90 minutes.
Check seasoning and consistency, if the sauce is to thin it can be thickened with gravy granules or cornflour.
Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans