Warm salad of smoked crispy bacon
Warm salad of smoked crispy bacon on baby leaf spinach topped with a hot poached egg
250g smoked lower salt bacon
4 large eggs
1 bag baby leaf spinach
2 slices wholemeal bread
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Preparing the poached eggs
- Step 1- Bring a pan of water to a rolling boil and add the vinegar, crack an egg into a small cup ensuring that the yolk remains intact.
- Step 2- With a large slotted spoon stir the water so it forms a well in the middle, gently pour the egg into the centre of the pan
- Step 3– Let the egg cook for 2 minutes then carefully remove with a slotted spoon and put into a bowl of cold/iced water to stop it cooking
- Step 4– Repeat for the other 3 eggs
Preparing the salad
- Step 1- Dice the bacon and dry fry in a frying pan on a medium heat until crispy, remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and set to one side.
- Step 2- Remove the crusts from the bread and cut into crouton size dice, gently cook in the frying pan until crispy.
- Step 3- Slice the radishes and using a vegetable peeler make long thin ribbons with the courgette. Mix the baby leaf spinach with the courgette ribbons and sliced radish
- Step4 – Divide the baby spinach between 4 plates, sprinkle with the bacon and croutons.
- Step 5- When you are ready to serve the salads gently put the pre cooked poached eggs into a pan of boiling water for 1 minute, remove carefully with a slotted spoon, drain on some kitchen paper and place an egg on top of each salad and season with some freshly ground black pepper.